Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Turbo and living arrangements

A spot of bad news: Both the landlord and the body corporate turned down our request regarding Turbo, and so we can't take him to live with us in this house.

This was something that could be expected, as they do have a no-dog policy on this estate. Our lease ends at the end of April, and I can now safely say we won't be extending it. Our furniture should be arriving from England sometime around then, so we'll either buy a house or rent an unfurnished one.

We're still unsure of where exactly we want to settle down, but most probably somewhere near/in Constantia, one of Cape Town's leafy upmarket suburbs east of here. I'm fond of Hout Bay for it's easy-going and relaxed atmosphere. On the down side, the winds are strong and I expect it will be relatively cold in the wintertime. It's also quite a long way to Heikki's work from here. On the other hand, we have seen some quite wonderful equestrian properties here. I'm not planning to buy horses, but I wouldn't mind an acre of two of land for the kids and dogs to run around on, or to grow grapes or fruit-trees on.

I suppose I will leave it up to Heikki to decide which combination he would like to have
A) short(er) trip to work, smaller plot, warmer climate
B) long(er) trip to work, a large plot/smallholding, colder climate, beaches.
My view is more house-oriented. I'll fall in love with a house and then I won't care at all about where it is. There is an abundance of characterful houses all around, so I'll have no problem of finding one from an area that's suitable for all of us.

1 comment:

Milja said...

how are you getting the furniture there, have you already asked them to bring it?

also, what about my piano, is it going to go to South Africa or come back to Finland?

(stay near the beach 8) hehe)

milja