Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Crèche

India misses Sarah's company (Sarah was her best friend in England). We're so looking forward to having Sarah here with her mummy and daddy - please come soon!

When I saw India playing with Cheylen a week ago, I realised just how much she's in a need of the company of kids her own age. She does enjoy playing with Matias and Joona immensely, but they're going back to school tomorrow. I've been looking for a crèche for her for some time now, but since we don't yet know where we'll settle down, I haven't quite known where to look.

I applied for a job at the weekend. I don't yet know if I will get the position (or whether I will even be asked for an interview), but now that India is loosing Matias's company, I decided to find her a crèche.

I got a leaflet with kids’ stuff from Seija today. There was an advert of a crèche relatively close to Matias's school, so not a bad place. Wherever we'll end up moving, Matias will stay at his current school. A crèche near the school is a safe bet regarding the location.

India and I drove down to see the place. The location was quite OK, but as we came closer we noticed we could hear the motorway. You couldn't see the motorway, but we could certainly hear it. We went to the office, where we were greeted by three women. I enquired about a place for India. They looked at their lists and said the place is full, but since someone hadn't paid yet, they could give India this child's place. I wouldn't be able to have a look around today, as the children were resting, but we could come back tomorrow. The fees would be R1000 per month. The classes have 20 children each, with one teacher and one helper per class.

As we drove away, my resentment of the place grew by the metre. They could have at least given this person a warning they were giving their child's place to someone else! And wait a second! Did she really say 20 children with 1 + 1 adults? Who'll change the nappies?

Heikki had talked to a woman earlier today about her crèche closer to where we live. It opens at the same time in the morning as Matias's school. Quite impossible on paper: This would mean a 25 minute drive to Matias's school in the morning, a 20 minute drive back to drop India off at the crèche close to our house, and then heading off to work in the general direction of Matias's school. Besides, she only had a vacancy for a couple of mornings a week. After a disastrous visit to the first place, I wanted to go and see the second one. Perhaps India could go and play there for a month or so before I start working.

Heikki arranged for us to go there this afternoon. I liked the place as soon as we drove in through the gate. We got a warm greeting from the owner. The crèche is small, just the way we like it. India was impressed with the toys, the swings and the kid’s size loos. I was impressed with the friendly staff. The crèche feels very British with the way it's run and furbished. It felt very safe and I felt good about the idea of taking India there. India felt so good about the place herself, that it took a big effort from Heikki and I to get her out of there.

It turned out that India could stay there full time, if we wanted. There had been some misunderstanding this morning. We could even arrange so, that we drop India off before taking Matias to school, and so I could drive on to the University from Matias's school without having to make the extra 45 minute loop back home.

India and I will go to the crèche for a couple of hours tomorrow, and we'll take it from there.

2 comments:

Milja said...

lol kiva.

mita tapahtuu jos et saa sita job.. sitten olet yksin koko viikon! meneeko sitten hemppu joskus cheshiin ja joskus ei?

mennaan huomenna katsomaan Narnia mummin kanssa.

(dan sai ostettua sen present)

milja

Milja said...

btw, ma nain 2 unta etta te suprisitetitte meidat ja tulitte tanne :P oletteko te secretly tulossa tanne for a suprise visit?? lol

milja