Monday, January 23, 2006

d’oh!

I was late leaving the house this morning and took Matias to school via a short-cut. There's a particularly nice avenue on the way, with big trees and their low-hanging lush branches lining the road, well-kept gardens, and especially: no barbed wire in sight.

As we were turning to this avenue, my favourite one in Constantia, there was a dodgy looking car on the opposite side of the road. It was of the local breed: tan and brown, a rusty one with big dents, with partially darkened and slightly broken windows, and just one headlamp. Seriously, I wouldn't be much surprised if, one of these days, I saw one of these 30-40 year old cars driving along with just three wheels.

As I started accelerating, I heard a loud bang, or more like an extremely loud 'pop'. I slowed down, looked again at the car that didn't belong in this picture, and then stopped. I got out of the car to see if one of my tyres had exploded, or more like: if I could find a bullethole on the side of my car. .....D'oh!

(I should perhaps enroll on one of these courses where they teach you what to do and what NOT to do when you're being hijacked or shot at.)

I examined the car properly in the safe surroundings of Matias's school's grounds and found nothing wrong with it. I now think the sound must have come from the old dodgy car. It most probably just backfired.

No comments: