Monday, January 09, 2006

Back online

Finding a retail dealer in Cape Town for an ADSL modem proved to be hard. You can order one and get it in one day but getting it the same day off the shelf does not seem to be possible. Not much of a market for them, I guess. Telkom keeps broadband prices high which discourages people. Luckily I got a contact that could order one from a wholesaler. I picked it up from city on the way home from work.

I got a Netgear DG834G (54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch) which is more or less the same I had before (DG824M for three years) but has been updated from b (11Mbp) to g wireless. Since there is no significant traffic within local network, the improved wireless speed is not even important to me. The box is smaller and allows upright positioning. The firmware provides more features and configuration options than before.

Getting it up and running was a sintch. It seems to be keeping cooler than older model and running quite reliably. So far.

No comments: