Monday, February 13, 2006

Red eyes

We had a restless night with not much sleep.

India started showing signs of conjunctivitis earlier on at the weekend and last night the eyes suddenly got bad.

By the time we went to bed the yellow stuff was everywhere: sticking into her hands, the cheeks and her hair.

We washed the eyes with a saline solution, but that was all we could do.

In situations like these I can’t help but think how convenient it is to live in those countries where you have access to a pharmacists 24 hours a day. And where you don’t have to think twice about driving in the night to get to such a place.

As I was washing India’s eyes open this morning, Heikki booked us an appointment at the doctor’s surgery.

The doctor was a mid aged guy who, in his beige shorts, a short sleeved beige shirt and a scruffy looking short beard, looked more like he was on a safari catching animals than at a surgery treating patients.

He smiled with his brilliantly white teeth, gave India some sweets, checked her thoroughly and gave us a prescription.

I now have his number and know whom to call if something goes wrong even during the night.

I also found out one of the Hout Bay pharmacists is open until 8 PM every night.

While India and I were sleeping away our red eyes at home, Heikki learned that one of his friends had a red eye, too.

He’d refused an offer of ‘help’ at a cash-point yesterday and he’d been punched unconscious.

Besides a red eye he got a red cheek and a chipped tooth.

(Written by Minna. This website is not visible from home for some reason)

No comments: