Sunday, February 19, 2006

It's never like this here...

Matias and I woke up at five to pick up Milja and Dan from the airport.

Just as I got downstairs the lights went off. The whole area was dark, not just our house. Matias had locked the doors last night so he knew where the keys were, and we didn't have to look for them in the dark. I feared the worst and thought we wouldn't make it out through the electric security gate, but the gate was wide open. Great night for the burglars: security gates wide-open, electric fences out of action and burglar alarms silent.

The weather was impressive: low hanging dark clouds, thunder, lightning, and heavy rain. There was no question of the wonderful scenery I had gone on about. It's never like this here. The rain was a blessing for the dry earth, but I don't think Milja and Dan appreciated it. The air was lovely and cool, but I don't think they appreciated that, either. Milja didn't even dip into the pool, as she claimed it was too cold for her.

We went to get Turbo out to the beach with us. There was a new dog in the run with Turbo and Uno. The dogs started jumping on me. We haven't seen Turbo for several days so he was even happier and bouncier than usual. He tried to jump up and lick my face, but Oh what a smell! The dogs had poop on their paws and in no time I was spotted with an increasing amount of it: twenty or so splodges on my jeans, some big wet ones on my shirt, hands, arms, legs, sandals and feet. Shit! Literally. Milja and Dan looked at the bouncy dogs and me in disbelief.

Uno blocked my way out while the other two continued dirtying me. I had no way out. Turbo got even more jumpy as I was just standing there instead of taking him out. As the little newcomer got more excited she started going for my ankles, so now I was being shitted and chewed on. Uno wouldn't move from his post by the gate. I was stuck. It's never like this here. But do you think Milja and Dan believed me?

Turbo did get out for a walk, but only after I'd gone home and washed myself with disinfectant.

Later on we went to see the monkeys at the World of Birds. We bought some snack at one of the local stores and saw one of the show houses on the way home (Milja and I liked it, but Heikki wasn't 100% impressed).

We had a quiet evening in.

1 comment:

zari said...

What a day! You surely impressed your long-waited visitors... :D
Hopefully tomorrow'd be more normal!
Cheers,
zari