Thursday, December 14, 2006

Secrets of sauna

The sauna that was rebuild by Tapio did not heat up properly. We could not understand why. After the first test, he modified the airflow and added more insulation. At best, the temperature went up to 70 degrees Centigrade which is passable but not great.

Yesterday I was trying to find out why the basement did not have electricity although the electrician has been on site and fixed the cable that was burned in the fire. I could not see any good reason why, so I gave him a call. He promised to come right away.

While I was waiting for him, I fetched the installation leaflet of the Tylö sauna heating unit. I had initially and successfully connected it to the electricity according to the diagrams. Now further study of the diagrams showed that to get the full 4.5 KWat heat out of it, there have to be a cable bridging the other heating element to the first. It had been working at half power all this time!

The electrician came and connected the new cable to the mains at the board where he had disconnected it. After that I asked him to help me with the sauna. It was fixed in no time. Switching it on for a few minutes heated the sauna room considerably faster than before.

I am hoping to be able to properly try out the sauna on Friday once the scaffolding and loose thatch almost blocking the entrance to sauna have been removed.

No comments: