Thursday, December 21, 2006

Preparing for Christmas

We all went for Christmas shopping a couple of nights back, to the largest shopping mall in Cape Town: Canal Walk.

We shopped alone in pairs or by ourselves and got quite a lot of shopping done. Milja has been busy packing the presents.

Matias and I went for a quick shop this morning to get ingredients for the traditional Finnish Christmas meal

We'll do a bit of shopping again tonight, and then bake gingerbread cookies. India is looking forward to baking the cookies. She calls the process making Pippi (Pippi Longstocking bakes gingerbread cookies in the films).

We've just had a swim in the pool. The water is 27C, which is really warm. Heikki and India are in the sauna and I'm just about to join them.

I'm planning to propose our family postpones Christmas by a couple of hours. According to the Finnish tradition the presents are opened on Christmas eve. Our family has often had a meal before six and then we've spent the evening opening presents. I'm hoping we could start the meal after eight because it's dark then. It felt awkward last year when it was light as we ate and opened pressies.

No comments: