Tuesday, December 05, 2006

About flying

I'm back from a 2 day meeting in San Francisco, or Stanford in Palo Alto, to be more precise.

It was a good trip but I'm totally exhausted from the two 11 hour flights. The planes were not full, which was strange. So far, when ever I have traveled to/from Cape Town, the flights have been sold to the last seat.

I like flying BA, but the food has started to annoy me. I eat vegetarian and am one of the first ones to be served. It's not that the food is bland, as that can be improved with a bit of salt. It's the fruit they serve.

If you eat the standard meal you get your meal with chocolate and a pudding - such as apple pie. For some reason, people at BA catering have this idea that vegetarians are boring fruit eaters and so they don't serve us pudding. We get slices of apple and red grapes. That's eight portions of apple and red grapes within the last month for me. And a cold banana instead of a blueberry muffin with breakfast.

It would make sense if they catagorised vegans and vegetarians together - i.e. none of those carrot eaters get anything tasty because tasty puddings contain eggs and milk. But they don't. They serve a yoghurt with the cold banana (i.e. milk which they wonldn't serve vegans). And, the weirdest of all, my morning yoghurt contained gelatin (read: bovine brain).

I've changed my preferences on the frequent flyer details from vegetarian to Asian vegetarian. I look forward to having some pudding on my next flight.

1 comment:

zari said...

I had Asian vegetarian when I fly by KLM. It was really nice, though no pudding either... fruit salad instead :-D