After several nights of sleeping badly, I finally got some sleep this afternoon. Not because the building plan issues have been resolved, but because I was now too exhausted to stay awake.
Matias woke us up this morning by saying the ceiling was leaking again. I didn't pay much notice. I couldn't even hear a dripping sound, and I couldn't hear the rain outside. As it wasn't raining properly, there wouldn't be anything to worry about. Or so I thought.
Heikki got up before me, and started rushing about with Dan. The water was coming down much worse than the last time. Heikki phoned the builders at half past seven, and they promised to come as quickly as they could. I got India dressed and took her to the creche.
By the time I got back, Heikki and Dan were totally exhausted. The water was rushing through the ceiling in several places and it was impossible to keep up. All the towels we had in the house were wet, and we kept twisting them dry. Dan's hands were raw, red, from the twisting. The water tripped the electricity off.
The worst leak was in the sitting room, where we had a water fall. Then there was the main dining room, where the water was pouring down everywhere. A bucket under one of the kitchen light fittings was filling up quickly, and the water was rushing down the wall behind our fridge. Matias's room was fine at first, but we soon noticed his mattress was soaking wet and there was water coming down into his cupboard. We put a container there and caught about a litre and a half in 10 minutes, which was a minor leak in today's standards.
I gathered things on the sofa, which we put in the middle of the sitting room, out of the reach of the water. Then, as if someone had opened a water hose, water started pushing through the wall onto the sofa! The water had just gathered on the roof and found a path down the wall behind the paint and the bubble burst open. Once the situation calmed down a little, Dan had time to take some photos.
Heikki phoned our Finnish friends & Joyce to help us. We were all exhausted, and it was a wonderful feeling to know help was about to arrive. The things were mostly under control once they came, but they were still a big help.
The builders came sometime after nine and worked the whole day covering the roof with different sheets. They brought us a large, noisy heater to get the house dry.
The sun is now shining from an almost clear sky. A niche holiday weather for my parents and Heikki's mum, who are coming here tomorrow.
Dan has put some photos on his and Milja's blog.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment