The reason I happened to be home when the engineer came was that I did not dare to drive to work. I had ran low on diesel on coming back home on Tuesday and was told at the Hout Bay Shell station that they hadn't had any for a week. They'd heard rumours on the radio there might be some more available on the 17th - in four days time. I would have had diesel just enough to drive to work and back but I would have been totally stranded after that. Later that day Minna managed to fill her tank with petrol on the third petrol station she tried.
The South African goverment has passed a law that from next year leaded fuel can no longer be sold on petrol stations. Petrol companies miscalculated the time it would take to reprogram the oil refineries and the chaos followed. Motorists are advised to keep their tanks more than half full and refill often (if they can find petrol/diesel anywhere, that is).
Luckily this kind of thing is nothing new for us. Some time ago there was fuel shortage in England when ports were blocked by angry drivers of commercial vehicles protesting against increasing fuel prices.
Thursday, December 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment