Sunday, March 04, 2007

Those strange foreigners

Heikki was ill on Friday and had a chance to chat with Joyce, our maid.

Finnish people, in general, like sour milk (piimä). You can't get it in England, so we were happy to find that it is widely available in shops here.

The 'problem' is that white people don't drink Amasi, only black people do :D

Joyce had told her friends we have Amasi in our fridge. They didn't believe Joyce, so she took them an empty carton as proof. They still didn't believe we drank it, and came to the conclusion that we must use it for some other, unidentified, purpose.

Joyce's son had then been quizzed about this, and he had told them he'd actually seen us drink it. Joyce's friends had been gobsmacked and complained that we must not drink Amasi, as "it's just for us! Not white people!"

Joyce then told us also of something she had tasted at our house: Christmas porridge. I think I wrote about this before. It's basically like rice pudding, except that it doesn't have vanilla in it. I love Christmas pudding with sugar and cinnamon.

I'd made Christmas pudding and Joyce had tasted it as she was curious. She had then told her friends what she had done. She had told them of this horrible stuff: rice and milk. She'd told them it was so bad, that surely it was not supposed to be eaten, but it must have been cooked for some other purpose :D

No comments: