One of the local radio morning show's presenters commented, that living in Hout Bay is like being in a National Geographic show. She'd just moved into Hout Bay, and found a preying mantist and a scorpion in her bathroom that morning. We had a rat in our loft.
I spotted rat poop up there, and since Matias's two pet rats (Pharaoh and Basil) hadn't been up, I figured we had a third rat in the house, a wild one. Last week I went to four hardware stores to find a device to catch the bugger alive. All I was offered was to do with killing.
I don't see the point of killing something just because he happens to be in your house. He doesn't even know he's a nuisance. Also, if you poison someone, he will suffer. _And_ he will crawl somewhere to die, and rot where you can't reach him. Oh, what a stench that would be.
Heikki was kind enough to see my point of view, and spent a couple of hours on Friday making a rat trap. A foot and a half long wooden box with a cheese attached to a string attached to a door that would fall ddown when the cheese was touched.
We just caught the rat. A cute brown one. We didn't keep him as he might carry some diseases, but instead we drove him down the road and let him go.
Monday, March 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment