We employ two security companies: one for doing the installations and maintenance of the equipment and the other for doing patrols and 'armed response'.
Our protection includes
- a wall around the house
- an electric fence
- thick vegetation
- beams
- magnets on windows and doors that set the alarm if they detach from eachother
- movement sensors
- dogs
We've just upgraded our system to include more movement sensors inside and out, more beams, as well as smoke detectors and panic buttons galore. As soon as smoke is detected, the sprinkler system is activated, the fire department is alerted and a patrol from the second security company hurries on site.
It's now 1:50 am. The alarm went off about an hour ago and I can't sleep. Heikki's in Jo'burg.
I ran to the control panel to turn the alarm off, answered the security company's phone call and asked them to come and check the situation. You can see lit numbers on the panel that tell you which zone is active. I couldn't remember what the number corresponded to - and wasn't even sure it the numbers were still the same as before the system update. So I wasn't sure where the alarm had been raised. I felt helpless.
In no time, Patrick arrived and checked the garden. Having a big, strong man with a gun and bullet vests around is very reassuring, I can tell you.
After Patrick checked the garden and found no burglars, we went to investigate what had triggered the alarm. By then I had narrowed it down to one of the sensors between the house and the garage. And there was the culprit: the rubbish bin's lid was open. Turbo had gone for a rummage, managed to open the lid, which had cut one of the beams, and so the alarm had been raised.
Not feeling like clearing up the rubbish in the middle of the night, I took Turbo in. He's now snoring at my feet.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment