This is a good one - perhaps the best update so far:
As you know, we went away for a long weekend. We drove a half a day East from here. I was hoping the builders would secure the roof extra tightly on Friday, but they didn't come to work. (They left home for a long weekend).
On Saturday the alarm started going off.
Early Sunday morning (around 4 AM), the security company phoned us that the electricity had gone off. I didn't sleep much, as you can imagine. It wasn't raining, so what could it be that tripped the electricity? A burst pipe?
A bit later on Sunday morning we phoned our friend, Tapio, and asked him to investigate. He phoned us from our house and told us something we really didn't want to hear: there was water coming out from under the front door.
We asked him and the security guys to climb up to the loft space and said they could possibly make their way down the stairs if they made a hole in the board that was covering the stairs. Well, they didn't need to make any holes. They came down the brand new hole that was in the kitchen ceiling!
Apparently, it looked as if the builders had banged something against one of the water cylinders. Also, the rain coming down into that (partially uncovered) part of the loft had contributed. The water had made the floor structure wet enough during the weekend for part of the kitchen ceiling to fall down. The water tripped the electricity. The water made its way through the house and out from under the font door.
I haven't been up there since Wednesday, so I haven't checked out the damage, except through the hole in the ceiling. The security guys and our friend told us that also the dining room ceiling might come down. Let's hope it doesn't rain, as the gables don't have much covering. Then again, I don't think a little flood would do much more damage now! I just don't want anyone to be under the ceiling if it comes down.
I don't know how much of the water came through the kitchen ceiling, and how much went further down through the house. Apparently, the water was also coming out from the sauna part of the house, which means it has traveled all the way through the house structures. Does NOT sound good.
The water has now stopped coming in, as it was switched off. This means we can't take any showers. Or flush the toilets.
But hey, what's a little problem in the long list of problems.
Here's to hoping it won't rain tonight! There's no way I can do anything to cover the roof. I'm afraid of the electricity, the falling ceiling and the sheets are just too big for me to shift in the first place.
Let's hope this was the last thing that goes wrong!
Sunday, November 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment