Monday, July 31, 2006

I’m about to eat my words

I remember claiming some time ago that I don’t get frustrated with the African way of life: i.e. things just don’t happen.

I’m about to eat my words.

We’re supposed to buy a house tomorrow. Everything has been arranged by our solicitors.

The house has been paid for. We paid the first chunk of money as we arrived in Finland on the 16th of June. We then paid the rest a month ago.

Today, about midday, we started wondering why no one has phoned us to let us know when we’ll get the keys etc. It took four hours and several phone calls to both the estate agents as well as the solicitors before anyone even got back to us.

No one bothers.

The transfer papers have been sitting in some office in Cape Town since the 18th. The process should take a maximum of 10 days, which it now has. Still, there is no guarantee of the process happening any time soon.

No comments: