Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Feeling safe

In Cape Town, we can never leave any of our belongings in the car, or we risk the car being broken into.

We’ve never had any problems with security (I’m knocking on wood as I type) but I know things happen there.

Our friend has just had her handbag stolen from between her legs. Another new friend had his car broken into on two consecutive nights. And when he went to pick up his luggage from the cargo office, it was 8 kg lighter than it had been on departure in Germany.

I was afraid I’d grow overly cautious (~ paranoid), but luckily that hasn’t happened.

We went to Heikki’s mum’s summer cottage a week ago. The cottage is in the centre of a town (but near a river and a lake so it counts as a proper summer cottage). I left my laptop on a table in the garden as we went shopping. I kind of did it to welcome myself in this safe country.

When we lived in Littlebury, in England, we never locked the back door of our house. We do lock the doors in my parents’ house in Espoo, but we don’t lock the doors in the countryside. And no one minds if the car keys are left on the car door for the night.

No comments: