India and I made a quick on the spot decision on the 31st of January, and booked tickets to Finland for the following day.
The timing wasn't perfect, as Gavin (Dan's dad) was here, and the rest of the family was coming in a weeks time. But when you've go to go, you've got to go.
India and I flew on KLM. They have OK meals, their entertainment system is OK when you fly for the first time. They don't change the programmes every month so after a couple of flights you don't have a proper choice of films/programmes. But India doesn't mind watching the same films over and over again. The kids' collection of films and programmes is quite good, but she got stuck on watching The Little Mermaid again and again.
When we went to Finland in December/January, there wasn't any snow. Well, not until we were at the airport. Heikki didn't even notice it snowed, as he stayed in the terminal when we went to say Bye to my mother. This time we had snow. BUT it was -20 to -15 Celsius most of the time, and so much too cold to do anything outside. India and I made a snowman the first day we were in Finland, but soon India fell ill and spent about a week indoors. She recovered just in time for the flight back.
We stayed with my parents, and had a chance to visit Heikki's mum twice. The first time India fell asleep almost as soon as we got there, but luckily she stayed up for the second visit. We saw Heikki's sister, Heini, and her marvellous dog, Dakota, on the second visit.
My mum, youngest sister and I spent several evenings knitting. Mum and I knitted pandas for India and her cousin, Aksu. Maarit knitted a cardigan for her friend's baby who will be born on Friday. Maarit also made some wonderful cards.
I have no idea where all the time went. I didn't even have time to go shopping. We did go to Porvoo, about 50 km east of Helsinki, to see the works of a great painter, Linnovaara. We dined with the professor, who is a remarkable source of stories. Later in the week, my dad, Maarit and her husband, Vesku, went to a modern art museum to see Linnovaara's and other famous artists' works.
I've decided to start drawing and painting. I bought some aquarelle paints and proper paper. I also bought a book of photos from Helsinki during the end of 1800's, beginning of 1900's.
All in all, the visit was quite stressful, but I'm ever so glad I went. I had some good chats with my sisters and my parents, and saw Maarit's tummy in the last stages of her preganacy.
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment