Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Garage floor


When we first moved in, our big Land Rover did not fit through the garage doors. We had to quickly get someone to lower the entrance. Since then, the tarmac outside has been broken and the garage floor has been in two levels with several loose bricks. My mother, when she came to visit, fell down quite badly because of that. Luckily she only got a palm size bruise.

Before Minna went away, I spent a Saturday talking to two builders and driving around trying to find similar bricks we had in the garage floor. I had to postpone the work by a week because I could not find them anywhere. Finally, I was told these particular bricks were manufactured in early 70's and not available any more and purchased brand new standard size rectangular bricks.

The work was done over last Saturday and Sunday. The driveway, the two car garage floor as well as a third car bay is now smoothly covered in terracotta bricks.

It was necessary for me to spend the weekend in the house to oversee and respond to any queries. The tool hire shop turned out to owned by a neighbour and hardware store was open on Sunday morning, which were pleasent surprises. Last of the rouble was removed on Monday before Minna got back and we could drive in for Tuesday night.

Now we need new garage doors.

No comments: