Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Attack of dementors

Minna's second cousin, Juha, is visiting Cape Town this week on a conference trip and we have been taking him around to see the sights. A swim in the sea among the penguins at the Boulders Beach was in the cards on Sunday.

I went into the cool sea water with India was holding on to my neck. She did not want me to swim on to the deep and generally was not too happy about swimming, so I got cold quite quickly. My arms were quite red. I got out and stood for awhile on the shore. I started feeling dizzy and lowered my head down to my knees. It did not help
much. My vision started to change: wet glistening sand was strangely overexposed.

Minna was sitting in the shade and asked if I was alright. I went and sat next to her. Now the sand was very dark, so dark that I touched it to make sure it was not black, moss covered stone. Looking up, my vision vanished completely. It was totally
dark.

It was time to lay down on my back. Minna was keeping my legs up. Slowly my vision returned and I felt better. Remembering Harry Potter, it felt appropriate to eat some of chocolate I had in the bag. It helped.

I've been suffering of a cough for some time now. In addition, I've been traveling two out of three weeks of this year. Were these the only dementors haunting me? I looked around but could not see anyone suspicious. They should be invisible to us muggles, of course.

I have not had this kind of experience more than once before in my whole life: The previous time was over 30 years ago when went from hot sauna directly into river. So, nothing to worry about?

1 comment:

Tamara Kulikova said...

that sounds like reverse to the previous time - from cold to hot very quickly. I thought you were over your cough already, but clearly not - maybe worth visiting a doctor again, hm?