Friday, October 26, 2007

Beads

Cape Town isn't big on bookshops but something you do get here are beads. Black men sell beaded animals, bowls, key chains, Christmas decorations, lampshades, jewelry – you name it – by the sides of the roads. There are also a couple of wonderful bead shops in town. Milja and I booked ourselves into a beading course while she was here and enjoyed a morning of beading. It wasn't enjoyment all the way through, though, as we were quite stressed when we were given an hour to walk around the shop, picking up beads for our own creation. The clock was ticking and we came up with no good ideas whereas all the other ladies seemed to know exactly what they wanted to create. We did leave the class with nice necklaces in the end, and then continued shopping and came home with bags of wonderful beads. Milja has continued beading in Finland and I've made lots of necklaces and earrings. I'll give them as birthday presents for India's friends, and we can put some in party bags when she has her birthday.

No comments: