Monday, September 22, 2008

Madam Tiler

I have a new group of workers at the house. I bought handmade terracotta tiles for the middle section floors. They're the tiles old houses in the area had. As the tiles vary in size (from about 27x27 cm to 33x33cm) and are of varying thicknesses, I needed an experienced tiler. I was recommended a tiler by the company where I bought the tiles from.

Faizel and his group started work on Wednesday and haven't stopped since. They don't stop for lunch or the weekend, and even bring their rain coats so they can cut tiles in pouring rain! What a great bunch of men.

My original builders have picked up the speed and came to work both on Friday and today, Monday. I expect they will come again tomorrow, as they know Faizel will take over if they don't show up.

Heikki was away in Italy and hadn't seen the progress made in the house. The team screeted three rooms and tiled half of the middle floor while Heikki was away. Now he's back I was able to let Heikki be in charge overall, and have a go at tiling. I expect tiling regular tiles would be rather boring, but such varying shaped tiles are a challenge. I really enjoyed myself!

The tilers were helpful and taught me patiently. The electricians and the bricklayers thought that having a madam lay tiles was hilarious, and well worth looking at... over and over again. This is a country where I shouldn't carry my own shopping. I should definitely not do a black/coloured man's job and lay tiles!

My job as an apprentice won't stop here. Faizel will teach me bricklaying and plastering, and whatever we can come up with in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: