Sunday, July 13, 2008

Is it a bird? A plane? A truck or an RV?

We're in San Francisco after driving the RV across the USA. The trip has gone well, although I would not recommend embarking on a trip like this when being stressed by builders at home.

We were meant to be given instructions of how to work the RV before leaving the rental place. Instead, we were given keys and told to drive off as soon as possible. So we did.

Is the RV a truck? Do I need to obey the road signs meant for trucks?

We drove an hour down to our friends in New Jersey not knowing that. I phoned the rental company's emergency hot-line to ask. They didn't know. 4 thousand miles later, I still don't know.

I drove on a highway in New York with signs saying "no trucks". In Pennsylvania, we paid a higher road toll than cars as our RV is "the size of a two axle truck". In Ohio I drove 55 miles per hour instead of 65, as that's what trucks were meant to do. In Indiana I didn't drive on a road that said "no trucks". In Arizona we drove on Hoover Dam although the signs said "no trucks". In California I drove 70 miles per hour instead of 55 indicated for trucks. And in California I tried to get the RV's oil changed, but the garage refused as they changed oils "only for trucks". I haven's stopped at any weigh stations "for trucks" along the highways.

I've search RV websites to find out if RVs are trucks. Even police officers don't seem to know.

1 comment:

Andrew Dalke said...

If you're in San Francisco, I hope the Exporatorium is on your to-do list.

I tried looking for the answer to if the RV is a truck. The best I found was http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/13712613.cfm the result being that what you've done is about right.

Enjoy my country! :)